Hillview Resource Centre is a community development organisation and as such all of our work is conducted with the following principles in mind: Social Inclusion; participation; collective action/solidarity; anti poverty; equality; empowerment & leadership and working in partnership with others.
Hillview Resource Centre promotes education, training & information in an informal way. This means that we host events and conduct one to one with groups and individuals. We are particularly keen to work with children & young people and have linked in with Ballinteer Community School and have conducted two in depth workshops with TY Students. In 2018 we are expanding this work to include 1st, 2nd, 3rd ad 4th years in a series of safety and information sessions e.g. cyber bullying and positive mental health. This strand of our work is crucial as an early intervention and prevention organisation.
Increasing skills in the community is an essential part of community development (capacity building) and we work with partners organisations e.g. other Family Resource Centre’s, ISPCC, Samaritan’s, Tusla Social Work Team, See Change, Spun Out, Belong To, Health Service Executive (HSE), Education & Training Board (ETB) and Crosscare Youth Service. We plan on opening an outreach office for some of our work; this office will only work with clients from our area but will enable the organisation to participate in more one to one and confidential support work. Our Community Development Worker responds to requests for information and advice and also works with individuals.
We specialise in providing information through events held at the centre, sessions planned for 2018 include:
- Mindfulness – stress management and reflection
- Healthy Eating – working with adults to provide low cost healthy meals
- Up Cycling – learn how to take something old and make it into something new
- Suicide Awareness Day – raising increased awareness of suicide in the community
- Community Information – small group information sessions e.g. young people, older people, parents
- 16 Day Campaign – promoting the elimination of violence against women (coffee morning & information)
- Children’s Art – developing children’s interest in art and encouraging their participation at weekly activities
- Transgender Equality Network Ireland – community information coffee morning
- International Women’s Day – breakfast morning
- World Day Against Child Labour – information morning
- plus more…
Call Katie, Community Development Worker on 087 195 7419 for more information or to volunteer your time and expertise.